I can’t fathom how unbelievably fluffy this are for non-yeasted pancakes. I am in love with the texture and fluff buckwheat flour adds to this amazing pancakes. We have been eating them ever since I created this recipe!
Sorghum also has many healthy promoting benefits and pairs nicely with buckwheat.
Read more about Sorghum.
Buckwheat & Sorghum Pancakes
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Buckwheat flour
1/4 cup Ener-G Egg Replacer
(Note: Have no Ener-G? use 3 Tbsp Tapioca Starch, 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder, 1/2 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch)
1/4 cup Sorghum flour (I used Swad Jowar flour from Indian Grocers)
1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal
1 Tbsp Zulka sugar
2 tsp Rumford baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/4 cup buttermilk (3/4 cup almond milk with 1/2 cup liquid whey or 1 cup + 3 Tbsp almond milk with 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar)
1 large egg
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, to cook in skillet
1) Mix liquid together in small bowl or measuring cup, let sit aside to make ‘quick buttermilk’, if using non-dairy option.
2) Mix the flours and sugar together in large mixing bowl.
3) Add egg, if using, to the measured buttermilk and mix well.
4) Incorporate wet and dry ingredients in the large bowl.
5) Mix in the baking soda and powder as the last step and set aside. The baking soda will cause the batter to rise and be light and airy.
6) Heat coconut oil in skillet.
7) Drop 1/4 cup of batter and spread lightly to form circular shape.
8) Cook each pancake without flipping until the surface is covered in air holes.
Makes 12 four-inch pancakes.
Serve hot with honey butter, coconut oil, nut butter, agave nectar, brown rice syrup or real maple syrup.
What’s your favorite pancake topping?