Cauliflower Rice? You read right!
Read on to find out about this quick and easy side dish made from cauliflower!
Usually with meals, Rice is the stand-by for quick grain. Gluten-Free grains like rice, quinoa and millet are good for you, however contain lots of carbohydrates.
Cauliflower Rice could be a good answer to reducing daily carb intake, especially if you eat rice with every meal! Yes, vegetables contain carbohydrates, but they are complex which don’t break down as quickly as simple carbohydrates like sugars, rice and pasta.
While I am not suggesting to cut carbs completely out, I do know it is beneficial to reduce their intake not only for weight loss, but to also eat less calories and make room for more cruciferous vegetables in your diet. (More about carbs from Healthy.net )
Cauliflower is a good vegetable to increase. Even World’s Healthiest Foods Cauliflower Article says ‘at a minimum, include cruciferous vegetables as part of your diet 2-3 times per week, and make the serving size at least 1-1/2 cups’.
(Infographic from AuthenticSelfWellness.com)
1/2 head cauliflower
1-2 Tbsp oil to sauté with ( extra virgin coconut or olive oil or ghee is what I use )
Optional, onion powder and sea salt to taste
1) Cut cauliflower into florets.
2) Put pieces of cauliflower in food processor. Process into small rice-sized pieces.
3) Heat oil in pan.
4) Add cauliflower pieces and stir to coat all with oil and cook for about a minute.
5) Cover the pan with lid to allow to steam for about another minute.
6) Optionally, add the flavorings.
7) Sauté for another 3 minutes on low heat, stirring continuously to avoid burning.