Crackers are a nice crunch to eat on the side of creamy soups, hot chili or just with a spoonful of peanut butter on top!
This is an easy recipe that is gluten-free and vegan!
When I was a kid, my mom would make us ‘cracker crust’ as a snack. Thin, crispy, hot crunch we would top with salted butter. It was a easy and cheap alternative to eating popcorn. When there is pretty much no food in the house, flour, butter and salt is always an option to make a quick food.
The thickness of the dough changes the crisp of the crackers. I did not roll this out as thin as my mother usually does in the gluten version so I could crumble large chunks into my chili. It is also great with Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup or Spicy Red Lentil Vegetable Soup. Thicker dough also makes it a little less fragile for easy nut butter spreading.
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup arrowroot starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp flaxseed meal
6 Tbsp cold butter or coconut oil, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup cold water plus more if needed
Coarse salt for sprinkling
1) Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly oil flat baking sheet. Set aside.
2) Sift all dry ingredients together. Cut in the butter or oil with fork. The mix should resemble wet sand.
3) Mix in the water to make it stick like dough when you press it together.
4) Put dough on baking sheet. Press out with hands first, then use rolling pin to press out thinner.
6) Bake until browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.
PS – I have a giveaway going on for Living NOW Foods Allergen-Free Line, including white & brown rice flours! Ends 01/09.